#AIHce 2014: The @pidgirl Experience















I arrived to San Antonio late night on Sunday evening June 1, 2014, after midnight. First thing in the morning, I headed to the FEDEX office in the hotel, to pick up my banner stand and portable analyzers to show at the American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Expo AIHce expo and proceeded straight to booth setup. Within no time I had it looking like this:


During booth setup, I found an American Chemical Society Division of Chemical Health and Safety friend, Russ Pfifer of WC Environmental. It's great to see other folks who are involved with both the American Chemical Society and the American Industrial Hygiene Association like we are.

My first day at the expo was awesome. I forgot how much I enjoy booth duty and connecting face-to-face with clients and prospective customers. The last time we exhibited at an industry trade show was in 2011 at both Pittcon and AIHce.You'll see us, HNU PID Analyzers, exhibiting at these two trade shows in 2015 after the positive experience we had at AIHce San Antonio. 






On Monday night I met up with Jeff Kraiterman and Russ Kraiterman of A.J. Abrams Company Inc. at the informal New England American Industrial Hygiene Association NEAIHA gathering at the National Meeting. I always enjoying hanging out with Russ and especially introducing him to people and boasting about how his company used to sell our analyzers back in the 1970's!
The 161 Fun Run participants met at a central location before
heading to the course. The policeman on bicycles stopped traffic
for us throughout the course on the cross streets
which made it a really nice run!
This was the first time I have participated in a Fun Run during a conference so what I didn't realize, is that by Fun Run, it usually means approximately a 5K. For this particular run, it was a 4K which I wish I knew prior to taking the start line because I definitely would have run faster even in the overwhelming Texas humidity! 


With my AIHce Twitter friend, Paula Loht at the AIHF Fun Run


Paula Loht

@pjloht


With my Local Rep: Tom Stringer at the booth, without whom I couldn't have managed this conference on my own between participating as an exhibitor and presenting in the technical program at the podium sessions.


We were tucked way in the back left corner of the exhibit hall and hadn't made it onto the Exhibitors List in the Final Program because I signed up at the last minute. However, we somehow managed to be constantly busy during the expo hours and had an amazing conference. 

Our portable FID and the customized  multi-gas analyzers were among the most popular products we were showcasing. Booth visitors didn't know that we had an FID and liked the idea of having the flexibility to customize their 4-gas meter with a list of over 30 sensors to choose from!  






Here I am presenting in Real Time Detection Systems I on Tuesday afternoon on the subject of A Rapid and Accurate Field Method for Reduced Sulfur Compounds by GC/FPD.


Wednesday morning at Real Time Detection Systems II  Pictured  L TO R: E. LIGUS (Monitor), P. SMITH (Moderator), J. MACLACHLAN (presenter) AND E. FLOYD (Presenter)


I gave two talks on Wednesday in two different sessions. First one was in the Real Time Detection Systems II on the subject of Field Measurement of Common Fumigants via Portable GC with PID & FUV Detectors. Second talk was in 

Innovations in IH Sampling and Analysis, part of the Sampling and Laboratory Analysis Committee, and I described our Modified Analytical Method for the Determination of Arsine at Low-ppb Levels by HG/GC/PID.


I heart my I heart IH commemorative tee shirt! I did a quick change after
 my Sampling & Lab Analysis session and wore it on the plane home.

We're looking forward to participating again next year in Salt Lake City 2015!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 R&D 100 Awards Industry Roundtable Discussion

COMSCI Business Plan Presentations at #ACSSanDiego