Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society Monthly Meeting 10/14/2010


Jennifer Maclachlan and Dr. Morton Hoffman
I attended my first local section meeting of the  Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society (NESACS)  on Thursday October 14, 2010 at 5:30pm in the evening at Emmanuel College in Boston, MA. The purpose of my attendance was to meet the leaders of my local section in preparation for the Science Cafe I am planning to host on Cape Cod in January 2011 as an International Year of Chemistry kick-off event and to get some ideas for my own celebration of National Chemistry Week on Thursday October 21, 2010. I met the National Chemistry Week (NCW) coordinator, Christine Jaworek-Lopes who gave me hand-outs for my NCW event and other chemistry related goodies for the children.
I had exchanged some emails with both Dr. John McKew, Chair, Northeastern Section ,
presiding and Dr. Morton Hoffman about my Science Cafe plans and was eager to meet them in person. The best part is that Dr. Morton Hoffman was my father, Dr. John Driscoll's Master's thesis adviser at Boston University. We thought it would be fun to take a picture of ourselves and email it to my father from the meeting (it was fun).

Jennifer Maclachlan and Dr. Doris Lewis
Just before dinner I found Dr. Doris Lewis of Suffolk University and we discussed the upcoming Science Banquet at Suffolk University in 2011 which she and my father are working on together. My father is tasked with the Suffolk Science Alumni outreach. Dr. Lewis encouraged me to participate in the technology table and showcase the work that we do with Suffolk students.


Dorothy J. Phillips, Thomas Gilbert's son, Thomas Gilbert, Thomas Gilbert's daughter and Anthony Cromwell Hill (Henry Hill's son)
 The thirty-first presentation of the Henry A. Hill Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to the Northeastern Section of the ACS was given to Thomas R. Gilbert.

Dr. Al Hazari

Dr. Patrick Gordon, Dr. Al Hazari and Dr. John McKew
The address "Show Me the Chemistry" was given by Dr. Al Hazari, Director-Undergraduate Chemistry Labs and Lecturer, University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Dr. Hazari exhibited a contagious enthusiasm for chemistry and the support for chemistry education at the elementary and high school levels. As an NESACS kick-off to National Chemistry Week 2010 speaker, Dr. Hazari definitely inspired those of us who are bringing chemistry to the K-12 children this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 R&D 100 Awards Industry Roundtable Discussion

COMSCI Business Plan Presentations at #ACSSanDiego